Friday, June 27, 2008

The World Keeps Spinning....Beat YOUR Kids!

It has recently dawned on moi that I am getting old(er). A couple of months ago, I had two gray hairs in my goatee; now, there are 4 and counting. I wont even mention the gray hairs in the nether region (oops, I guess I just did!). But, whats put my rapid ascent/descent into senility & diapers into perspective is my past, present and future. Huh you say? In saying that, I mean with regard to my past, when I left for college back in August of '91, my little sister was 9 months old. Tomorrow, she graduates from high school. Congratulations lil sis (BK's lil gangsta)...I love you and I'm proud of you. Which brings me to the present....my lil sister had no choice but to graduate....well she did. Her options were graduate from high school (and ALSO college), or get you ARSE beat with a bag of rusty nickels. Minors should NOT have a choice in whether they want to graduate, let alone go to school. There are consequences and repercussions for everything, but I'm not even going there. There should be such a thing as PRE-EMPTIVE BEATINGS. Parents, grandparents, siblings, beat (not abuse) your kids so they have the FEAR OF GOD in them and stay on the right path. It worked for me, and look, today, I'm writing blogs!!!

But on a serious note, prior to leaving for college, I told my mother, at that time a TEACHER/Literacy Coach, that I did not want to go to college. My mom (no she didnt beat me, but I'm sure she wanted to) just spoke to me. She told me I had 3 options:
  1. GO TO COLLEGE - being that I'd already made it clear that that was not my intent, it really wasnt an option, thus, mom dukes, using the GHETTO JEDI MIND TRICK, gave me 2 options.
  2. GET A JOB - when i graduated from high school, I was 17 years old. What kind of job was I going to get? What kind of money was I going to make? I calculated (I was good in math) that based on pensions, social security and such, I would have to work at LEAST 45 years before I could retire. FUGGG that...onto option 3.
  3. GET THE FUGG OWT! - Mom dukes wasnt having a non-working, non school going to, Wonder bread eating, Kool-Aid drinking, almost grown negro traipsing around the crib.

Needless to say, 17 years later, I have my Bachelor's (class of '96) and Master's degrees (class of '07). My moms BEAT ME IN THE HEAD and I thank her for it. Y'all dont hear me though. But yeah, a nicca is getting old, gray hairs, little sister graduating, still scared of PRE-EMPTIVE beating....yada yada yada.

and I'm gone.....

No comments: